Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Thoughts About Web 2.0 Thing #2

My reflection regarding my initial thoughts about Web 2.0 and its role in 21st Century teaching and learning. Years have passed since technology required so many controls to initiate writing. Web 1. 0 only allowed the users to read. Due to the many detailed and difficult to understand codes, people were derailed who were desirous to write and publish writings. Technical knowledge was needed to do anything that was involved. Particular software and server space was required, and yet, expensive.
My initial thoughts regarding Web 2.0 was rather limited. I have always heard of other people "zooming ahead" - accomplishing this and that in technology areas. It has amazed me, and yet, I have stepped back. Never did I think that I would welcome the use of Web 2.0. This was an area unknown to me. I have not claimed it for myself. I just believed they were technology savvy and I assumed that it would be too difficult. This was a "roped off area" in my thinking. Using blogs, wikis, podcasts, social networking and social bookmarking sites, tagging, photo- and video-sharing, RSS, and other Web 2.0 capabilities have not been in my vocabulary until taking the 23 Things class.
After reading the blogs regarding Web 2.0, I am amazed! It will be attainable for anyone who will try, and if need be, try again. Rather than just reading, the Web 2.0 supports the reader and the writer to share their thoughts. The whole idea is to "work collaboratively". The computer is connecting people and ideas rather than isolating people as in the past.
Why do I want to use the Web 2.0 tools? I plan to use these new tools in my future classes with potential "digital learners". In today's classes, technology is a must! Students want to be heard. They want to learn. They will not respond to constant books and "dry" teaching..."in the box" learning...because of the "tech" society of which we all are a part. Six months or so after a "new" technology tool comes out, it loses its newness and something replaces or updates it. Because many students have grown up with accessing the internet with their parents, many need the computer to feel "normal". Using the technology tools will release and enhance their learning in the classroom.
How might I use these new tools to engage today's "digital learners?" When technology is used in the classroom, it promotes mental processing. In addition to a student's use of manually writing to respond, the teacher could encourage the use of the "writeboard" (in the web browser) for the student to respond to the subject's content. Higher learning questions could be placed on the Writeboard and because it is a collaborative word processor, the student could write his/her response. Another student could be invited to share their thoughts, and on and on, and the teacher could interact with the lesson focus with the groups. This facilitates the "brainstorming" in groups.
How might I be able to use these tools to support my own learning? Web 2.0 tools are amazing and captivating! So many "free" tutorials are out on the web and until this class, I had no idea of the availability of this knowledge. I love the idea of "people doing things together on the web" as stated by Mitchell Baker of the Mozilla Foundation. As I process the capabilities of each tool, I plan to implement the Web 2.0 tools with my faculty and students.
There are so many ways that Web 2.0 tools has changed and can change my technology practice professionally.There are so many ways that I will be able to manipulate the use of the tech tools for professional use. For one, I will be able to use the Library Wiki at my school. In the past, it intimidated me...now, I feel like I will know the answers to the questions. Secondly, we as teachers will be familiar with the Web 2.0 tools and be able to work collaboratively with our students, fellow teachers, and our professional world. Because the tools are browser-based and user-driven, we just have to learn how... and then, we become "powerful"!
In fourth grade next year, I plan to support the New Jersey writing with these programs which have tools for publishing, connecting, sharing, organizing and remixing.
The effectiveness of this technology will be the springboard to learning for myself and my fourth grade class next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment